Are you interested in learning about Asians and Pacific Islanders in America? Are you curious about one of the fastest growing racial groups in America and how they fit into America's social landscape. If so, the APAS minor is for you. The APAS minor encompasses the following topics:
- Asian Pacific America, encompassing peoples from East Asia, South Asia, Southeast Asia, and the Pacific Islands
- Social, historical, political, and economic trends, both transnational and domestic American, that impact Asian Pacific Americans
- Community-based and individually-lived Asian Pacific American experiences
- Cultural and textual production by and about Asian Pacific Americans, such as literature, film, visual and plastic arts, digital media, music, and performance
- A comparative basis for understanding American race relations
The APAS minor is composed of 18 credits (6 courses) drawn from an evolving list of classes in more than 8 departments. To declare the minor, you simply need to have taken any APAS eligible course. After you apply for the minor, you will receive personalized advising from APAS faculty and become connected to a variety of interesting activities and resources throughout Grounds.
- SURVEY: one survey class in Asian Pacific American Studies (ex: AMST / ENAM 3180, ANTH 2610)
- THEORY/COMPARATIVE: one class on either theories of race (ex: SOC 3410, ANTH 3001, PLPT 3020/3030, SWAG 3810) OR on a comparative racial formation (ex: AAS 2010 / 2020, AMST 2300)
- TRANSNATIONAL/DIASPORA: one class on modern (not ancient or classical) Asia (usually HIEA, HISA, JPTR, CHTR, SATR, PLCP, ANTH, or EAST)
- ELECTIVES: three electives, one of which must be a 4000-level seminar
Courses that can be used for the APAS minor change every semester, so please consult with the APAS director if you have any questions about previous semester's courses, or any classes not listed here.
There is no longer a due date for APAS applications. Instead, please fill out and submit the application form whenever you are ready to declare.
APAS Application (Microsoft Word doc)
Applications may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Is there a Major in Asian Pacific American Studies?
At the moment, there is no major in APAS. However, almost all APAS courses count towards American Studies, with the exception of courses on modern Asia.
Associate Professor, English and American Studies
Director, Asian Pacific American Studies Minor
108 Bryan Hall
P.O. Box 400121
Charlottesville, VA 22904-4121